Friday, June 20, 2008

We HAVE SCABIES!

June 19, 2008 (Thursday)

The Lord’s Hand in My Life: The rain…

It was a lovely rainy day. I actually love the rain – everything slows down, and I feel like I can breathe for at least a few minutes…I started my morning off with doing the new workout tape my mom sent to me. It was great. I was sweating by the time I was done which means I got a pretty good workout...I needed something different than TaeBo. I was getting really bored.

The orphanage was extremely frustrating today. Christina (one of the workers) was in her usual cranky mood. Andrei was sitting in my lap in the lunch room; and we were waiting for them to bring his snack; and she came and very abruptly pulled him out of my arms and slang him over to a chair at a table a few over from where we were sitting. Then she made him sit at a table all by himself, and he hadn’t done anything wrong. She yelled at him to stay there, and he started crying. He kept reaching for me, and there was nothing I could do about it. I was soooooo frustrated with her and confused why she was acting like that. That was the first time I’ve wanted to slap one of the workers. It was so rude and unneeded. Then when we walked them back to their room she looked at me and said “nu in bratz” which means “not in your arms.” I had to keep myself from getting really, really irritated. What’s the problem with loving them?! Christina can be such a jerk sometimes…….AHHH!

Today we found out that some of the girls have scabies which are little red dots on the skin that are caused because bugs crawl under it. It’s quite disgusting to think about. You get them from holding the kids if they have them. I don’t think I have them, but some of the girls in my room do. I guess you have to take antibiotics to get rid of them. If we all end up having them that’s going to stink really bad. It’s not a funny situation, but we were all laughing about it. We come to help and we get scabies. I guess that’s the price we might have to pay. After seeing the red dots that Whitney Scott and Elisa have I think Andrei might have scabies. I don’t know how to tell the difference between scabies and flea bites, but if Andrei has them then I am definitely going to get them.

I saw Marius today, and I haven’t seen him for a while. His skin looked so much better than the last time I saw him. He is healing so fast. He had a t-shirt on which is amazing since his skin was burned so badly. He was so cute today. He wanted to arm wrestle me – so we did…He’s a pretty strong little guy, and boy is he a little tease. He kept telling MacKenzie to tickle me. Then I tried tickling him, and the little stinker wouldn’t let me.

At the hospital Alexandra was kind of cranky. She took a hand full of crayons and decked them across the room. We told her that was not nice…Annie and I were talking about how it was the perfect time for our break. We are leaving tomorrow night to go for our mid semester retreat to Budapest and Auschwitz. All of us girls are stoked! Not that we don’t love what we’re doing – of course we do…but it is quite draining after a while….a short break is needed.

Later in the evening…..

So we found out that even if we don’t think we have scabies we probably do. Apparently it takes two to three weeks to show up even after you have it. Elisa and Whitney Scott went and got us ALL cream. All nine of us had to cover our body from head to toe in a strong antibiotic cream… We had to hit every nook and cranny. What stinks is that even with the medicine we are going to keep getting them until we leave. All the kids have them – so we are going to too unless we don’t touch them and obviously that’s not going to happen because that’s the reason we are here….lovely Romania

No comments: